I'm curious if there is a standard library or practice for form validation
using JS just as there is for PHP. It is sort of baffling to me as to why
symfony would omit something as useful as this.

Seems silly that if symfony knows a form field is required, what kind of
form element it is, what it's name/id is, and even what error message to
display, that it can't plug these into some standard JS functions. In fact
there's even a form_tag() that could be used to automatically stick in the
proper onSubmit handler.