I use PDT on Eclipse.  Follow the symfony community wiki for the
installation specifics to symfony.  The version I downloaded from Zend
seemed to work better than the one from the official PDT page (but
that could be my inexperience set up the first time around).

It takes a while to set it up, but follow the tutorials etc, in the
PDT help,  its worth it in the end.

Also this has been discussed in the forums quite a bit.
http://www.symfony-project.org/forum/index.php/pv/18/0/

If you decide to use it, I can't stress enough, follow the wiki for
the install, and the PDT help to set up the debugger.  The debugger
rocks once you get it going.

Also note you'll need a wack of RAM, my machine has 2GB on XP and it
runs nicely, others with only 512GB it runs very slowly - probably not
enough.