Well, this is only a guess and I might be wrong, but a brand new
plugin seems to allow to do that:
http://trac.symfony-project.com/wiki/ysfR3Plugin
With it you can insert internationalizable words in any yml config
file, so maybe you can have rules like that:

@rule:
/<r3:trans>user</r3:trans>/:username
{module: user, action: show, param: [username]}

You still can determine your culture using a dedicated subdomain
(fr.domain.com, etc.) with a filter to detect the language.

Cedric