How about you have a little ajax script that "pings" every few seconds?
Assume that if a user is pinging he is online and if he is not pinging
he is not online. You might want to also have a timeout so that someone
who has left his browser window open while he goes shopping is not
considered online.

Just a thought. I've never done this.

Tom

--
Tom Haskins-Vaughan
Temple Street Media: Design and Development for the Web