It due to incorrect .htaccess.  You need to modify it, it can be
really tricky.  I recommend setting up a local Apache server and
turning on rewrite logging (unless you have access to do that on your
host already).

Here are some things you can try, and a way to force it to do what you
want.

The /site/.html thing is caused by the rewrite for symfony trying to
rewrite stuff you don't want to be rewritten.  Try excluding it by
modifying the first few lines like this

  # we skip all files with .something
  # requests matching these patterns are not rewritten (-)
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}   ^www\.mysite\.com$  [NC] << add this in
to only rewrite the site you want, its a regex so play around with
it.  Read the Apache docs for more info.  Or use Mohommad's
suggestion, looks close.
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} \..+$
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !\.html$
  RewriteRule .*             - [L]

As it sounds like you've already done something like that, you can
always add in this (I had to do this)

  # If it messed up and tried to go to the weird "site/.html" redirect
then fix it here
  # Making it temporary redirect for now
  RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}        mysitename\.com\.au$  [NC]
  RewriteRule ^\.html$            index.html               [R=301,L]

For me that worked.  But I had a slightly different requirement,
hopefully this gets you to where you need to be.  As Mohammad said if
you stop it rewriting in the last case that should be enough.

I can't recommend strongly enough getting a rewrite log of what
Apache's doing, I found it invaluable.