I'm trying to serve avatar images by this action:

http://tnaseem.pastebin.com/m48155cf6

This works fine when I run in development mode (ie. with
frontend_dev.php in the URL). However, if I run it as production the
content-type is always set to text/html so the image never shows up. I
can't figure out what the problem is.

Does anyone have an idea why in 'dev mode' it would work and not in
production? Is there something I'm missing in the HttpHeaders?

If you need any further info, please let me know!