I used Smarty for a long time because I found the templates much more
redable. But from my experience the PHP code generated by Smarty from
the templates is quite ugly. And since I discovered the PHP "script
version" ie "if(): endif;" I find PHP code in the template quite
readable.

You can go even further, depending on your PHP settings, by using
"short tags". <? ?> instead of <?php ?>. I personally don't because I
don't want to depend on the PHP settings of the server, but if you
really want smarty-like readability without adding another useless
layer, it is surely the best option. I would not recommend Smarty
anymore.

Cheers,

Fabrice