My use case is...

Database record:

report:
  title: varchar
  type: varchar
  scale: int
  theme: varchar
  user_id: int

On the edit page I render the title, scale and theme fields in the form. The
type and user_id are not part of the form, and should not change.

I instantiate the form with the current object, with the current values:

$form = new ReportForm($current_record);

I bind the form with the field subset given in the POST array. The "user_id"
and "type" fields are then null.

cheers

dan

--