why not store it in the config either by yml setting or programatically
with sfConfig::set();

Also unless you plan on abandoning the traditional symfony structure
theres no need for the real path call... you can just use
sfConfig::get('sf_plugins_dir')... unless there is something im missing.

--
Ant Cunningham
Graphic Designer | Web Developer