Thank you for your answer, Brandon.

I have checked the forms book and at the bottom of this page (Listing
1-14)

http://www.symfony-project.org/book/forms/1_2/en/01-Form-Creation

this is the format to set defaults in the action:

$this->form = new ContactForm(array('email' => 'Your Email Here',
'name' => 'Your Name Here'));

Now, when I do this
$this->form = new PartyForm(array('p_start' => $dstart, 'p_end' =>
$dend));
(where $dstart and $dend are timestamps), I get this error:

The "PartyForm" form only accepts a "Party" object.

Any idea why?