Right, after more banging of my head against a brick wall I found the
problem.

Whether because of how installation went or some other reason, the
various *.js files were not located at the place Symfony was looking
for them.  Solution was to create the directory and download Prototype/
Scriptaculous into the directory, clear the cache and everything is
now working.

Regards,

Simon