I would  agree.  Obviously every site's requirements are different.
This works fine on my site that has about 30 categories and 100
products.  Half a million categories seems like a lot, I don't even
think amazon.com has that many.  If you're looking at that kind of
volume of data you're better off using the normal /module/action/key/
value with maybe a little bit of url rewriting.  In my case the client
wanted a url structure of /category/subcategory/product-name without
anything else in the url which sort of makes it hard to do pattern
matching on the routes.