My problem is that caching is not used if any GET parameter is
present, but we expect high traffic from links bearing this parameter
(think referral/affiliation programs, etc.) so we need caching.

Quoth the Book, Chapter 12:
> Actions called with a POST method or with GET parameters are not cached.

So my question is: how can I override this safeguard so that the cache
filter believes there was no GET parameter?

My filter executes before the cache filter, and once it does its
processing, I can safely get rid of the parameter (it has no bearing
on page content). But I haven't found a way to do this that will fool
the cache filter.

I have tried:

class myFilter extends sfFilter
{
  public function execute($filterChain)
  {
    $request = $this->getContext()->getRequest();
    $user = $this->getContext()->getUser();

    // ...processing...

    $request->getParameterHolder()->remove('my_param');

    $filterChain->execute();
  }
}