Hi Bernhard,

Thanks for responding. You suggested:

test_index:
  url:  /test
  param: { module: test, action: index }
test_images:
 url:   /test/images
 param: { module: test, action: index, type: image }

With that first rule in place, I would get the following results:

test/index?type=image   =>   /test?type=image
test/index?type=video    =>   /test?type=video
test/index  =>  /test

In other words, the first rule would match all requests for the
test/index action and no further rules would be evaluated. Symfony
routing rule matching isn't a "find the best fit" system. It's a "find
the first fit" system.

If you put the rules in the opposite order, then the images rule would
match every request for test/index and force type to image for all of
them, which would be incorrect.

Allow me to restate what I really want:

test/index?type=image   -->   /test/images
test/index?type=video   -->   /test/videos
test/index   -->  /test

Even if we turn off the extra_parameters_as_query_string option for
the test/index rule so it doesn't match everything, we still hit the
wall trying to get the images and photos rules to differentiate based
on something in the URL rather than the first one simply overriding
the other.

So far it looks like :type is the only way to go. I could get what I
want by converting plural :type values back and forth to singular
myself rather than trying to get routing rules to do it automatically
for me.

--
Tom Boutell

www.punkave.com