I thought I would add my thoughts as I only picked up symfony about 8 months
ago for one project at the company I am working at and we now aim to use it
for all of our web application development work, as well as a few of my own
personal projects.

Getting used to the MVC design pattern was a little tough to get the hang of
first. The first work we did was entirely scrapped because the amount of
refactoring that was required to get it "up to scratch" with what is
considered good design, not to mention that that first attempt ended up
being a difficult app to maintain and a whole bunch of other concerns. The
biggest part to get used to really was Propel, but now that I have been
using it so long I love it. Seperating the logic of what you want from the
database as opposed to being concerned with the how has made writing this
application a lot easier further down the line.

The plugins situation is frustrating at times because searching for a plugin
for me really means using Google first to find the one I want and finding a
link to the plugins section on the symfony website in Google search results
is easier than using the symfony sites search feature.

One aspect I found annoying was .. the apparent "inconsistency" of the
symfony core. Development between version (1.0 -> 1.1 -> 1.2) happens too
quickly. We started the project in 1.0, then upgraded it to 1.1 and now 1.2
is out and we are finishing development before considering upgrading it as
we are too far down the line and too close to deadline to consider having to
make framework changes because of a new version.

Symfony is amazing and I love it, as do the other developers at the company
I work for and without it we would still be 3-4 months away from meeting the
deadline we just met last Friday. Thanks to the core developers for making
such an amazing framework for us all to use and abuse!