I also don't understand what you mean by too slow. While I am not the sys
admin at the company I work for I know that we run Centos 5 servers with
mail handling of a few thousand mails an hour, database logging for a
variety of apps, constant data manipulation scripts as well as web server
for an interface frontend and everything runs snooth as silk.