On 22 Feb 2009, at 09:48, James Cauwelier wrote:

> It wouldn 't be slower, but come with other difficulties.  Think about
> what happens when you want to clear the cache.  You would have to
> remove a huge number of files which would take quite a while.  This
> does not have to be a problem, but it may be that you won't be able to
> clear the cache with the symfony command.  Instead you would have to
> do it manually on the command line with find commands and stuff like
> that.

Good point. I'd never thought about that before, but I've encountered
similar problems when deleting large directories.
You get a too many arguments error.

> So, you would have faster pages, but a cache that is less manageable.
> You could remove the cache periodically with a cronjob or you could
> use some other form of caching.  Maybe you should opt for memcached
> instead of HTML file cache.

Memcache is the way forward, for sure. You don't need a massive cache
either - 128M should be fine.

Remember to give each SVN tag it's own memcache namespace, that way
you don't ever have to clear memcache - the new release will just
start to push old stuff out of the memcache :)