On Mar 7, 2:06 am, Gareth McCumskey <gmccums...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> We have recently released a project we have been working on for some months
> now as an Alpha version and while we have focussed primarily on bug fixing
> as well as feature completion for the next Alpha release coming up in a
> week, I can't help but notice something disconcerting.
>
> The project we have developed is a replacement of an existing product. The
> previous version, coded before my time at the company, is old, procedural
> and uses a very inefficient, un-normalised database structure.
>
> For our new version, we decided to use symfony for maintainability reasons
> as well as the fact that this version will be a lot more complex than its
> predecessor so symfony's ability to simplify the development helps us
> immensely.
>
> The problem I have noticed is that the new symfony version seems to be
> performing ... well ... badly. Loading pages on the new version takes a lot
> longer, talkin 10-50 times longer than the previous version. I went so far
> as to view the development logs and manually run SQL queries on our new
> normalised database schema vs the old version un-normalised version and the
> new schema performs batter by a factor of 100x so I know that it is
> definitely not the database slowing things down.

I'm surprised you got a speed boost by normalizing the database. It is
often the other way around. The perfectly normalized database tends to
require a lot of JOIN statements. A small degree of de-normalization
can greatly improve performance. Of course, the great risk of de-
normalization is that you are storing redundant data, and you may
eventually end up with a situation where data in table A is different
than data in table B, for a field that is suppose to hold identical
data.

It's rare to hear of a speed boost coming from normalizing.