If I might just add. My thinking has been looking at finding someway either
in the AJAX helper itself to pass some kind of setting to make the result
load "over" the current page or some way in the action that the "url"
parameter references to force it reload the view and "break out" of the div
tag. I have used $this->redirect , $this->forward and no luck.

Would love to hear someone else take and I can't see that this is a unique
problem.

Gareth