Phing isn't so tightly coupled to Symfony. The project I'm using it on
is in the process of adopting a framework, but it hasn't yet been
decided which one.

I'm sure you can use Pake outside of Symfony, but investigating that
would have taken time, and I already knew Phing would work with any
framework (or lack thereof). Also, Phing had better documentation,
because it's based on Ant, it follows a lot of the same conventions.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the deploy procedure we've got now...

On the server I'm deploying to, I check out the build script from SVN,
then just run : phing <environment>

A Phing InputTask prompts for the tag that I want to deploy and the
rest is done automatically, including database changes etc.

Pretty smooth :)