Yep, coupling model with outside data is really, really bad idea.
Let's look at Lee's example of using plain $_SERVER array. It works. It
works almost everywhere... ALMOST.
1. What if U will decide to move models to another project with another
framework? What if that framework import all outside data and cleans e.g.
$_SERVER?
2. What if you'll decide to deploy current project on another platform like
Quercus (Javas PHP implementation) where existence of $_SERVER, $_GET,
$_POST is not rock solid.

Remember, always supply outside data to model, model shouldn't do that.

Cheers, Alan