Nope, you don't. If that was the case you'd need to change your
rewrite rules every time you added a new CSS, JavaScript or Image.

If the file/directory exists in the web directory, it will get served.

It's only if the file/directory doesn't exist that the request gets
handed to Symfony.

That is, assuming the default .htaccess configuration from the Symfony
docs

:)