Well using the observe_form helper you can pass the current values of the
form to an action to do verification server side and then return a result.
Not ideal with the new forms system but I am sure there must be a way (I
have not investigated as of yet) to use your existing validation setup in
your forms class to pass back a result and so enable the submit button for a
form etc.

Personally I feel that the forms framework should include an easier way to
do client side validation as more and more web apps are moving away from the
submit-entire-page process to accept form input. Before the Web 2.0
"revolution" (for want of a better word) the forms framework would have been
fine but the asynchronous requests are now a part and parcel of developing a
web app not an oddity or exception. Or at least thats my take.