Sorry, I should have been clearer.

DbFinder returns objects of type Doctrine_Record or BasePropel object
as you said - which have common methods, such as save() etc

DbFinder eliminates the need for ORM specific queries.

There are many features in each that are NOT common, but there's
absolutely no reason that a plugin cannot be created that is
compatible with BOTH Doctrine AND Propel using DbFinder.

The SimpleBlogPlugin is based on DbFinder, as are several other plugins.

I don't see any reason the plugin couldn't use DbFinder.