I store all my projects inside a dev folder - with a sub folder for each
project.
I also have a folder here for symfony and another for downloaded plugins (to
easily handle plugin install without needing Pear).
In the Symfony folder I have a folder for each version of Symfony I play
with and do a checkout for each (so I can update easily).

I then also create a "current" folder which I use for client projects using
the mklink command (MKLINK [[/D] | [/H] | [/J]] Link Target) from the
windows shell.

When creating projects I create the project folder, project\lib\vendor and
then use mklink again to link to the appropriate version of symfony I wish
to use and link to the symfony folder described above.  This tend to work
without any problems and gives me flexibility when developing.

Instead of using xamp I've started to use Zend Server CF - which tends to
run with less issues generally then xamp and gives me a nicer interface to
manage the environment.
Apache tends to have less issues than the xamp version does.  It's also a
much cleaner install, decent feature set & very much worth checking out
(http://www.zend.com/products/server/).

Under Apache\conf I create a sites-enabled folder and enable it in
conf\extra\httpd-vhosts.conf - following the general approach used on apache
linux installs and it's an easier/cleaner way to have vhosts running locally
that's portable.  Annoyingly there's no a2ensite script for windows - so
you'll have to drag across the one in the symfony/config directory yourself
and change it with the hostname you'll want to use.  Additionally you'll
need to edit your system32\drivers\hosts file (as Admin as it's a protected
file) to add the hostname you want to use.