In this (my) special case it seems to work - but i did not even touch
the most complex doctrine possibilities.

In my test environment i installed doctrine 1.1 - by following the
guide - from svn.

But it seems also possible to define it as an dependency in
package.xml to ship it with a plugin - regarding the
advice to change the ProjectConfiguration.php

I use 3 Tables with relationships and column aggregation inheritance.
I do not use any behaviours at this time, so
i cannot say anything about that.

I use the preSave() trigger to save a directory- or filename and
synchronizing existing files in my architectures file
system according to the model changes - using getModified(true), this
seems to work nicely.

I discovered no autoloading issues yet as it is proclaimed in one of
the blog's comments.

Let's see... i'll play around with it a while.