Good work David!

However, I'd recommend that if you intend to use a VM for development
(I already do), that you build it yourself, so that it mirrors the
exact configuration of your deployment environment. Unless you do
that, using a VM provides very little benefit, as you still can't be
sure that your application will behave exactly the same in your
production environment.

What I do right now is have the same VM for all of our developers -
when a new developer arrives they grab the image file from our server,
and check out all of the necessary stuff from our repository
(including things like PEAR). We have almost everything in SVN, which
allows developers to easily make huge changes to their own VM, and if
it is to be propagated to the live server, it's then checked into SVN,
so that we can check out the changes from SVN directly onto the live
server. A good example of this would be upgrading Symfony via PEAR. We
do it on a developer VM, test, and if it works, we then commit the
changed /usr/share/php/PEAR to SVN and from the live server(s) perform
an "svn up" in the same directory. Instant, no hassle update :)

Every other developer then does the same - performs an "svn up" in
their /usr/share/php/PEAR directory, so that everybody then has the
same version of Symfony as the production environment.

At some point I'll resurrect my blog and make a blog post about how/
why to set up an effective development VM. I've just created a new one
using Fedora 9 after we upgraded our servers, and put Fedora 9 on them
instead of the previous Debian.