When you do not have overwritten the sfGuardFormSignin then your logic
fails due to the post validator of this form.
Look in "sfGuardValidatorUser" and it should open your eyes. This
validator fetches an existing user from the database and returns the
cleaned data, when no user could be found, then nothing is returned
and your form is not valid.