I've put in a support ticket with my hosting provider before I try
things like break down my fixture into even more files (I currently
have a few already).

Yeah I read the garbage collection theory posts also.

It's interesting because the reported number of bytes allocated is
never the same in two different runs, as per the error message.  This
may suggest that bytes have been "freed" but are not properly gc'ed.

If that's the case, it's unlikely creating more files would have any
impact, I'd think.

Once I go to production, hopefully, I won't have any ongoing issue
because I only need to load the data once, but until then it seems
like it might be a challenge!

Steve