Yeah, that's the problem.  There's a redirect at the end of the
executeSignin action that sends the user back to the page they were on
before doing the signin loop.  I'm not sure how to override the signin
action to log the signin without having it redirect before it gets to
my action.

Perhaps a symfony event?