You need the "with" parameter.

http://www.symfony-project.org/book/1_2/11-Ajax-Integration#Basic%20JavaScript%20Helpers

remote_function(array(
        'update' => 'common_area',
        'url' => 'home/showbooking,
        'script' => true,
        'with' => "'selectdate='+ some_javascript_value"
);

You have to replace "some_javascript_value" with some valid javascript
statement to retrieve the actual selected value of your selectdate
field.

The parameter selectdate could be fetched in your showbooking action
as normal request paremeter.

Frank