Just last night I checked out an older project using symfony 1.0.20
and it appears to be working with php 5.3 after I made one change.

I was having an error regarding zend.ze1_compatibility_mode when the
project ran. Turns out this was removed in php5.3 and thus the check
for it needs to be removed from the php.yml file located in symfony/
data/config/php.yml

The trac ticket: http://trac.symfony-project.org/ticket/6863

After doing that the project loaded (well the page first page did), so
it should work but there may be other quirks along the way. QA is
always going to be important.

Hope that helps.

Davinder