Hi,

The best way to do this in my opinion is to create a class in the lib/
folder (or in a subfolder, for instance lib/jarthel) where you put the
method. So for instance you might get an EmailChecker class with your
checkMailFormat() method. Though what you are doing sounds like
validation, so you could also put it in the form of a validator of
course (having said that, you might want to look at symfony's e-mail
validator: http://www.symfony-project.org/api/1_2/sfValidatorEmail)

Stefan