I need to use a custom validators because the username can be either
username or an email address. If the user supplied an email address, I
need to check if the email address supplied is valid.

I have created 4 files which I have mentioned below.

my custom validator (usernameChecker) throws an error or return a true
if validation is okay. I have typed in a valid email address. My
usernameChecker returns a true. BUT sfGuard still displays an error.

Can you please help?

actions.class.php: http://www.pastebin.ca/1553480 (basically it's the
same as the original signin function form sfGuard except that it's
displaying my custom form. see file no. 2)

sfGuardAuth.class.php: http://www.pastebin.ca/1553481

usernameChecker.class.php: http://www.pastebin.ca/1553482

validateEmail.class.php: http://www.pastebin.ca/1553484