Once upon a time I built a site and included a style sheet in view.yml
as one of the style sheets that needed to be included. But the style
sheet didn't actually exist. When I tried to login, I often got an
error, something like a 404 error, which showed the URL as pointing at
that non-existing style sheet.

I fixed that problem by removing the reference to the style sheet from
view.yml.

Now I am having a similar problem with "favicon.ico". This error is
intermittent. Sometimes when I logged in, I ended up with something
like a 404 error ("Oooops! That file is not found!"). And the URL of
the browser was suddenly pointing toward the missing file.

To solve this problem, I first tried to find any reference to
favicon.ico and remove it. But I could find no reference to it, either
in layout.php or in any of the yml files. So, then I thought I could
solve the problem by creating a favicon.ico file and uploading it. But
I still get an intermittent bug - I no longer get a 404, but sometimes
the browser advances to the URL of the favicon.ico file. And then the
only thing on screen is the favicon.ico file. Obviously this is not
something that I want to have happen for our users.

Does anyone have an idea of what causes this bug?

php: 5.2.4-2ubuntu5.7

Symfony 1.2.5