Make sure you've read http://www.symfony-project.org/book/1_2/18-Performance
- lots of good advice there.

http://www.symfony-check.org/ is another useful site.

In order of the biggest improvement for the least amount of effort,
I'd say:

1. Install a PHP accelerator
2. Make sure your db tables are properly indexed
3. Minimise the number of queries with joins

Anything after that starts to get increasingly more time consuming to
implement for smaller and smaller gains.

If you're using multiple web servers, look at using memcached for
session storage and for the view cache. Do not be tempted to share via
NFS as it will kill your performance.