I'd go with 2 or more modules. So far I've rarely seen a need for 2
applications. I think you only need separate applications when you are
dealing with a huge project that has divisions that are entirely
separate. For instance, a huge corporate intranet, offering services
to the global sales team, and also enabling a tech support operation
run out of India - that might be 2 separate applications. But the
average web site should be one application.