Hmm... well, I've just been dealing with a similar problem at the
moment on a non-Symfony project.

Looks like it could be caused by a peculiarity (bug?) when a cast
object is expected and the object type can't be found by any
autoloader... seems to cause an immediate fatal error with no error
reporting (even when using XDebug)

Eg.

$result = $object->function(My_Class $class)

Where the $class object may exist, but PHP is unable to load/find the
My_Class class.

At least, that was the cause for my problem.

So, transposing that information to your problem, I'd check your
factories.yml for any typos in the class names - and check that those
classes actually exist.