I'm running the script as a task with a cron job. I'm not generating the
file, the files are held in a remote ftp directory, posted by a real
estate listing service. They're basically a pipe delimited files of new
and modified properties for sale.

So my flow is:

  1. download file, creating log as I go
  2. unzip file if download was completed
  3. process file and insert data into property table

As I say, I use the log to keep track of the status of each file.