We've done a bit of work integrating Smarty in a Symfony project where
we want to be able to run templates written by users that we don't
trust with full access to everything PHP can do.

In that situation, you need Smarty, or something like it.

Outside of that situation there's not much need.

Also, Smarty has a limitation that caused us a lot of grief. Template
authors can pass arguments to functions provided by Smarty, or
provided by you as an extension of Smarty. But those arguments can
only be simple strings. There's no support for arrays or data
structures of any kind, which quickly results in manual explode()
calls all over the place, etc.

One can work around that by kludging JSON or YAML in as a parser for
arguments passed to Smarty functions, but it's a bit of a pain to set
this up.