The sync content plugin copies content - the database, and the data
folders if you designate any. This is the opposite of copying code.
Very, very often we want to bring our dev boxes up to date with the
real-world content on a staging server... but only the content, not
the code. The newer code, of course, is already on the development box
(via svn).

If you are testing only with contrived fixtures data you will have
trouble reproducing real users' problems in a debugging environment.
Thanks to the sync plugin we are nearly always able to reproduce
exactly what is happening in production on our own laptops with the
debug controller enabled, make our code tweaks and then deploy the new
code knowing it works with the real data.