The default ORM will be doctrine, but propel will be supported,
hopefully for a long time. I've used it in many projects, and I don't
plan on switching - no reason to :)
I started learning doctrine when propel seemed to be abandoned, so I
can start new projects with it, but it got a new leader, and it's
under development again.
Unless you have a good reason to change, it's unneccesary - propel is
alive, and it will do so for a while.
If you followed the MVC separation, it will be a relatively easy task
to switch - almost all the code you need to tamper with is in the
model classes.

Gábor