Propel does the same thing. Pretty much its to seperate any of your own
methods designed to be called as static functions that will perform just
quick queries on the database where you don't need to work on instanced
version necessarily to get what you need. Otherwise you would have to
instantiate an object, use mutators to set variables then run queries, etc,
whereas with this seperation you can just run a method on a class and
quickly grab some results.

--
Gareth McCumskey
http://garethmccumskey.blogspot.com