If you search the mailing list archives, there are plenty of instances
where I've talked about this before...

Usually, it's caused when a type-cast arg is required by a function,
and the incorrect type of arg is supplied...

EG

public function addComment(Comment $comment)

Where addComment is expecting a Comment object, but for some reason or
another it gets supplied something else (most commonly NULL or FALSE,
because a previous call to retrieve or create the Comment object
returned NULL/FALSE).

If you use sfErrorHandlerPlugin, it can catch most of these errors for
you