First of all why the onClick? link_to_remote creates a link with an onClick
for you.

To get the ajax to update the value of a form you will need to use JSON
encoding in your action to return the value you want then you can use the
"complete" callback option to set the value from the returned data.

--
Gareth McCumskey
http://garethmccumskey.blogspot.com