Assuming you're using Doctrine - which version of symfony are you using?
I have a small patch for 1.3 that gives more detail for errors that I
can easily convert to sf 1.2.

I mentioned the issues with non-verbose error messages in a Doctrine
ticket recently with data imports and I think it's something in the
pipeline.