DoctrineGuard for auth + permissions & DoctrineGuardApply for Profiles.
Both work well and without any major issues in sf 1.3.

With some minor changes the call-the-expert article works also.

It's probably best to go back to basics - get Guard installed and
working without profiles, ensure you can login and manage users in the
backend - do the same for profiles & then work on linking the 2.

Then you're building on something stable that you know works.