I could do it all in one action, and I have done it that way before. I'm
just looking for ways to avoid the "resubmit on page refresh", as well
as "resubmit on back button" stuff.

I'm not sure if passing by post will work, but I'm just hoping.

Basically, if they refresh the thank you page, I want to be able to
redirect them back to the form. If they hit their back button, it will
take them to the form. There won't be any "To display this page, you
must resubmit your data". It's not a requirement. I can always deal with
it. I'm just trying to see if there is a good way around it.