James, upgrade your projects to symfony 1.3 and you will be able to
play with migration tool ... which is relative easy to use ...
check the docs for it

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 3:16 PM, James Collins <ja...@om4.com.au> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm relatively new to Symfony as well (I use Doctrine), and have wondered
> the same thing.
> During development, whenever I modify the schema I find myself dropping the
> database, rebuilding the models, rebuilding the SQL, inserting the SQL, and
> then inserting my fixtures.
> Is there a better way to do this?
> During development it isn't such a big deal, but down the track when the
> application is in production, I obviously wouldn't want to empty the
> database just to add an extra field or two.
> Thanks very much.
> Regards,
>
> James Collins
>
> OM4 - Website Design and Development
> OM4.com.au | OM4Tourism.com
>

> 2009/12/2 dthomas-wwp <dtho...@woundedwarriorproject.org>
>>
>> I use sfPropelSqlDiffPlugin, which adds a propel:build-sql-diff task.
>> It works well, in general.
>>
>> There's some quirkiness to it though: If you're changing PKs or FKs,
>> sometimes it's not able to figure out the right order of operations,
>> so you may have to enter a loop of running the sql, running the task,
>> rinse and repeat until no more diffs exist.
>>
>> Also, it seems to have an issue with differences that consist only of
>> whitespace.  The one example that haunts me routinely is that MySQL
>> enums continually appear as false positive differences.
>>
>> Those quirks aside, I'd recommend checking it out.
>>
>> --

Have a nice day!
Alecs

As programmers create bigger & better idiot proof programs, so the
universe creates bigger & better idiots!
I am on web:  http://www.alecslupu.ro/
I am on twitter: http://twitter.com/alecslupu
I am on linkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/alecslupu
Tel: (+4)0748.543.798