Hello, I'll try and explain by example:

Let's assume you have a MySQL server located at 192.168.1.101, and you
are connecting to the database "symfony-db" with the username "user"
and password "pass". You can modify the connection parameters one of
two ways.

One, you can run the symfony command: symfony configure:database
"mysql:host=192.168.1.101;dbname=symfony-db" user pass

Of course, you will have to modify the parameters based on the way you
have your database set up and how you will connect to it. This will
generate the config/databases.yml file, which is what symfony reads at
runtime. You can edit this file
directly, which (assuming the same information as above) would look
like this:

all:
  doctrine:
    class: sfDoctrineDatabase
    param:
      dsn:      mysql:host=192.168.1.101;dbname=symfony-db
      username: user
      password: pass

Please bear in mind that there are LOTS of different configurations,
this is only one example. It also assumes that you are using Doctrine
vs. propel for your ORM.

I highly recommend checking out Symfony's documentation, as they have
a lot of information on this subject. A good place to start:
http://www.symfony-project.org/reference/1_4/en/07-Databases

Thanks,

Hale Sostock